19 January 2009

when needs must


I had a 'cry for help' of sorts from Tara. She's getting ready for a market (or something like that) in Melbourne and was in desparate need of a couple of skirts assembled, quickly. I received the parcel from her in the post on Friday, with a request to have them returned by Wednesdays post.

Problem was that we were ready to trundle off to Bruny for the weekend, so I decided to do something I had been thinking about for a while....
Take the sewing machine with me.

We don't have any power at the oyster lease (fortunately we do at our shack in Alonnah), so it meant taking the hand-wind Singer. I've finally done some research on it and according to its serial number it was made in the 1960's. Considering it's appearance one would be mistaken for thinking that it's a lot older than that, but it was manufactured in Istanbul so maybe the older style was still the fashion there. It has a 'shuttle' bobbin as well, it's the only one of my Singers that does.

Oh and note to self, take pins next time. I had to use 3 spare machine needles instead, fortunately raw silk is fairly stiff so I managed...... just.

Yes it's technically summer but being Bruny Island I still had to rug up a bit. This was Saturday and Sunday was a lot warmer.

I haven't done any oyster farming work for a while now. I don't have the energy now and as there's a lot of lifting involved I have a good excuse not to. Up till now I've mostly been knitting, which reminds me, I must blog about that too.

And I still had my sewing companion. She got a swim on Sunday too.

7 comments:

  1. NICE WEBSITE AND PHOTOES
    A GREETING FROM WEST PAPUA. AND WE NEED TO SAY HALLO TO YOU
    http://takaijibu.multiply.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful machine!
    It reminds me one I used to see around the house when I was a little girl... unfortunately we don't have it anymore :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exotic machine - all the way from Istanbul. Does it sew with an accent? I have a White Treadle for pretty much the same reason. I want to be able to sew when there is no power.

    I was listening to the cricket on the weekend, they were at Bellerive and the commentators were having Bruny oysters for lunch. I couldn't help but wonder if they were yours!

    Cheers...Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you're a trooper darls!! Its such a lovely story to go with each skirt! Thanks again, so so much! The Craft Hatch Market is on 24th Jan at the City Library in Flinder's Lane from 11am, if anyone is interested in coming? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...how good is this!!! I wouldn't have thought the machine is from the 60's either...it looks such an enjoyable thing to do!!! A terrific post...and I will look out for Melbourne Breakfast next time I go up to Canberra to T2

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, Jen! I can just see you re-organizing the shack, so you have a sewing place there too. *Grin*

    Looks like you and Lucy both had a good weekend.

    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, peaceful way to sew! I can tell you from experience - make the most of it!

    Would love to meet up soon if you've got the time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello!