13 July 2010

I love before and after photos

It's true, I really do.  Although I feel confident that most of us do anyway.  It's just so satisfying to see ugly things made pretty.  Here's my contribution...
Before: A vintage dolls pram found at the op shop (thrift) for $15, I think, or was it $25?  Anyway Gracie was quite taken with it's smell.  I think it'd been in the back of someone's shed for a loooong time, it was very grotty...
After: Pulled apart, sanded and spray painted.  I had to drill through the rivets in order to pull it apart, so this meant that I had to come up with something else for putting it back together.  I remembered those screw type things that are often used for book binding, you know, one screws into the other.  After much searching I discovered they have a name - Chicago Screws, and found someone who sells them on Etsy (I only like using sites that have Paypal).  The screws arrived in the post yesterday and as I had done all the sewing the pram was put back together in a jiffy (with the help of those reference photos tacked to the wall!).  Oh and the fabric?  I splurged on some lovely oilcloth from Cath Kidston.

Some may even remember me blogging about this pram a while ago, and my intention to have it finished in time for Tamsyn's first birthday.  Well, I was only 2 months out so I don't think I did too badly.
Besides, I think she likes it.

17 comments:

  1. That's amazing! What a very clever person you are. It's a whole new yet still antiquey pram. And one very very happy munchkin!

    Love the name Tamsyn by the way. It suits her. And now she has a little cousin! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did a great job and the fabric is just perfect!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!!! It doesn't even look like it could be possible! She looks so pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO impressed. Don't suppose you take orders for mending trampoline padding, do you? I could be convinced to find some (er, UV proof), Cath Kidson...???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are able to restore almost anything into something very pleasurable. Tamsyn obviously agrees! That blue oilcloth matches her gorgeous blue eyes perfectly! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done a wonderful job, Congratulations it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely job! Clearly she likes it- now she needs a dolly and a quilt! :) Theri

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing! It looks brand new. I am sure it will be a favorite for years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I am rather attracted to old and rusty things, I would never let my little one, (if my ones were still little) play with anything in that condition... so your transformation is really fabulous, and the joyful look on Tamsyn's sweet face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fan-bloody-tastic! That's an amazing transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!! Jen you are amazing how did you do that?? It is absolutely gorgeous, you are so clever, looks like a special little someone is pretty stoked with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just amazing Jen. I love it. You are such a talented lady. The blue polka dot is adorable.I think she loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely. I tried to comment already but my (insert naughty phrase of your choice here) internet keeps dropping out whenever I want to do anything. You've done a beautiful job. I've been eyeing a few similar prams off at the Mission shop but never even thought of a revamp. Chloe has just got into playing with her baby doll too. Will add this to the long, long list of things to do! Hope to see you at Brown Owls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW that pram is amazing. It looks beautiful and perfect for a little one to push.


    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Hello!